Operational Works explained

Operational Works explained

Operational Works is defined in Queensland’s planning legislation and is work – other than building, plumbing or drainage – that impacts a site.

Basically, the term encompasses a wide variety of tasks that will change the land.

Types of Operational Works (OW) include:

  • Earthworks including excavation, filling of land or changing ground levels
  • Removing vegetation on site
  • Civil work for subdivisions like connecting to existing infrastructure or other works that need to be done as part of changing the use of a site
  • Roadworks
  • Stormwater, water, and sewer infrastructure
  • Driveway crossovers
  • Car parks
  • Streetscape modifications
  • Putting up an advertising device (e.g. billboard)
  • Prescribed tidal works.

In all cases a development permit is needed to undertake any Operational Works on a site. This approval might be required separately to, or together with, a development application.

Civil engineers complete the Operational Works application to council for the required works. This process includes reviewing the site, gathering all the documentation required by council and preparing designs as well as plans related to the Operational Works needed.

Each site is unique so the Operational Works required can vary greatly. The expertise of a civil engineer will help you identify and appropriately plan for the application and execution of the work.

Wilkinson Shaw & Associates can help you obtain Operational Works approval for your project. Get in touch with our team via office@wilkinsonshaw.com.au or call (07) 3555 9888 to discuss your project.

Please note that whilst every effort has been made to provide current and accurate information, Wilkinson Shaw & Associates does not guarantee that this blog is free from errors or omissions or is suitable for your intended use. Standards and requirements change frequently so every proposal should be thoroughly investigated.